Your dog does not like you!
He lives for you. Do you love yourself? Does your dog love you? Who do you think loves you more?
Let me tell you a story. There was once a dog named Brutis, a 7-year-old golden retriever. One day he and his human went out to catch some fresh breeze. While they were at the park, something horrible happened. Brutis noticed a venomous coral snake approaching a child. Coral snakes are one of the most poisonous snakes in North America. Brutis fought with the snake and saved the child. Although severely bit, he survived.
We have heard so many stories like Brutis’s. Though the names and the breeds of the dogs might change, the crux of it remains the same. Dogs put humans before them. A dog is the only thing that will love you more than you love yourself.
The National Dog day honors these lovely souls. Celebrated on 26, August every year, the day focuses on spreading awareness about the number of dogs that are rescued from breeders, and cruel masters.
According to the Human Society of Central Texas, about 3.9 million dogs are rescued nationwide. Approximately 1.2 million dogs are euthanized every year due to the space constraints in shelters. It is sad, yet true.
This National dog day, we bring to you a few things that you can do to save dogs nationwide.
1. Adopt a dog. If you are planning on buying a dog, don’t. Instead, adopt a dog that needs love. Read this post to understand the benefits of adopting a dog.
2. If you already have a dog and cannot adopt one, try sponsoring for a dog. There are a lot of foster parents who would love to raise a dog but cannot afford it.
3. Co-adopt a stray dog. You can talk to your neighbors and co-adopt a stray dog. That way, the dog will never run out of food and shelter.
4. If someone in your family is thinking about buying a dog, convince them to adopt instead.
5. Contribute an amount to a shelter every month.
6. Educate your family and friends about spaying.
7. Volunteer at a local animal shelter.
8. Setup a donation drive for dogs in your workplace.
9. Setup an adoption camp, where people can come and adopt dogs.
10. Offer your vehicle to rescue pets.
Dogs spread love irrespective of their color, breed or size. Let us know the steps that you take in your neighborhood to the protect dogs in the comments section below.