Temperature in Dallas is dropping low, are you prepared?
The temperature is plummeting in Dallas causing extreme anxiousness among pet parents. Yes, cold temperature is a threat, especially if you have small breeds.
This brings us to the question how cold is too cold?
25 degrees and less are extremely dangerous for small dogs and unsafe for larger dogs.
Here is a table that will help you understand the severity based on the dog’s size.
Apart from the breed size there are various factors that contribute to the cold bearing capacity of dogs. Generally dogs are more resistant to cold when compared to cats, rabbits etc, but that said, temperature falling beyond a point can cause frostbite and hypothermia. Refer to this blog to know the minimum and maximum temperature that your dog can withstand.
Here are a few things that you should do to keep your pet warm during times like this.
- Temperature inside your car/room can get cold, install a pet temperature monitor to keep a tab on the temperature.
- Keep your pet warm, if their coats, shoes get wet due to snow or rain, change them immediately.
- In case your pet is searching for warm places to burrow, cover them with a blanket and keep them warm, these are the signs of hypothermia.
- Make sure that the water that they drink is not very cold, this can cause nerves problems.
- Do not leave your pet alone in a car as the temperature inside the car can fall rapidly. Always have an alerting system in place, that will help you know the temperature.
Hope you find this information helpful. Do let us know what other steps do you take to keep your pet safe during winter.