How to Find a Pet Monitor That Works Flawlessly with Your RV
If you’re an avid RV traveler and a pet lover, you’re in good company. Some 8.9 million households in the United States own an RV, according to the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association. And according to the ASPCA, approximately 44 percent of all households in the United States have a dog, while 35 percent have a cat.
If you’re in both groups, then you’ve probably traveled in your RV with your four-legged friend (or friends!) on several occasions. Having done so, you know that their comfort while traveling is just as important as yours in ensuring that the entire family has an enjoyable and relaxing trip.
As an RVer and pet lover, a reliable pet temperature monitor is certainly on the list of items you need before you hit the road. Pet temperature monitors give you peace of mind on those occasions that your travels take you away from your RV, to locations where your pet may not be allowed to accompany you, such as restaurants, museums, or theaters.
So, how can you be sure that the pet monitor you’ve selected will work well and be reliable while you’re traveling in your RV? Whether you’ve already purchased a monitor or are still shopping for one, here are 7 features that will ensure your device works flawlessly and reliably with your RV, no matter where your travels take you.
- Cellular connectivity: When you’re road tripping, the last thing you want to do is rely on WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity for your pet temperature monitor. These are unreliable in many areas, and pet monitors that work on cellular networks are a much better fit for RV use. Choose a device that works with a major cellular provider, such as Verizon, to ensure the best possible coverage.
- Battery powered back-up: This is a crucial feature to look for in an RV pet temperature monitor vs. One you would use at home, for example. Potential power failures are among the top reasons you’re using a pet monitor in your RV in the first place. You want to make sure that your monitor will keep working to alert you if temperatures go lower or higher than the parameters you’ve set. Batteries should be powerful enough to last one or two days. You’ll also want a device that sends you an alert when your monitor switches into battery mode.
- Measures both hot and cold temps: If you’re doing lots of traveling in your RV, chances are you aren’t just traveling in the warmer summer months. Pet temperature monitors that are best suited for RV use will monitor both warm and cold temperatures. That way you can protect your pet from both heat stroke and potential hypothermia year-round.
- GPS capability: You have a lot riding on, and in, your RV. By selecting a pet temperature monitor with GPS, you’ll have the added benefit of always knowing the exact location of your RV. This can provide peace of mind when you get too far off the beaten path, or in the worst-case scenario, if your vehicle is stolen.
- SMS/text alerts and mobile app feature: When you’re traveling you’re always on the go. The best solution for RV travelers is a pet temperature monitor that sends alerts via text so you never miss being notified of a potential problem. Quality devices will also offer associated mobile apps for both Android and iOS so that you can check the conditions of your pet’s environment as often as you’d like, in real time.
- Doesn’t limit travel destinations: As an avid road-tripper, you aren’t limited to the United States when it comes to RV travel. The best monitors for RV owners are those that will work across borders, allowing you to travel into Canada and Mexico and still maintain reliable service.
- Easy and Simple Installation: The monitor must be easy and simple to use. It should be easily transferable from one vehicle to another. It should not involve any wiring or drilling.
These features will ensure you choose a pet temperature monitor that is best suited for RV use.